Traditional Indian cannabis drink using milk, almonds, and spices that is very potent!
This drink is extremely popular in India, especially during the “Holi Festival” (also called “Spring Festival”) in March, where the triumph of “good” over “evil” is celebrated. This festival unites all of India.
Bhang is the official “Holi” drink and is somewhat labor intensive to make since it is meant to be a Hindu offering to Shiva, who is also known in India as “Lord of Bhang”. For this reason, Hindus believe cannabis is holy.
Bhang is said to relieve anxiety, boost meditation, and cause transcendental states of mind and spiritual ecstasy. If taken in “proper” quantities, Bhang has many medicinal values, including improving digestion and appetite, decreasing pain, clearing the mind, improving moods, and aiding with sleep.
BE VERY CAREFUL as this recipe calls for 1 ounce of bud to 6 cups of liquid! This is a very potent drink! Start with about a shot glasses worth and wait to see how that effects you before drinking more!
If you’re looking for Cannabis Milk, not Bhang, check out our CannaMilk recipe.
Estimated Time: varies – about 30 minutes
Serves: makes about 48 (1oz) shots (this is about .58 grams per shot)
2 cups water
4 cups warm milk
1/2 to 1 teaspoon rosewater
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons blanched, chopped almonds
1/8 teaspoon garam masala (blend of black pepper, cardamom, caraway seed, clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, nutmeg, mace, cumin seed, corainder, and saffron – varies between brands)
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
1. Bring the water to a boil in a clean teapot.
2. Remove any stems or seeds from the cannabis, add to the teapot, and cover. Let simmer for approximately 7 minutes.
3. Strain the water and cannabis through cheesecloth and squeeze the wet cannabis to extract as much water as possible. Save this water.
4. Place the cannabis in a mortar and add 2 tablespoons warm milk. Slowly but firmly grind the milk and cannabis together.
5. Put the cannabis through cheesecloth and squeeze out as much milk as you can. Save this milk.
6. Repeat this process until you have used 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) of milk. (Save this milk. The cannabis should look pulpy at this point.) Put the cannabis back into the mortar.
7. Add the chopped almonds and enough warm milk to completely cover the chopped almonds and cannabis.
8. Grind the mixture in a mortar until a fine paste is formed.
9. Put this through cheesecloth and squeeze out as much milk as you can. Save this milk also. (Repeat until dry.)
10. Throw out the dry mass. Combine all the liquids that have been saved (the water and the milk).
11. Add garam masala, ginger powder, sugar, rosewater, and remaining milk. Stir.
12. Chill, serve, and enjoy*.
*Again, BE CAREFUL. This drink is very potent! Start with a shot glass worth, and see how you feel – then have more IF you can handle more. Everyone has a different tolerance – know yours!